One of the good things parenting made me realize is that I can choose a clean lifestyle and still live a full, happy life. I used to be a happy-go-lucky youngster who party till the wee hours in the morning, drink alcohol moderately and occasionally smoke. Yes, I wasn’t that clean but I was normal. Mind you though, I never did drugs and I am in fact, an anti-illegal drugs advocate, in my youth and till today.
Whenever my family bond with some good friends, there’s usually beer and cigarettes. I would often join in the drinking and smoking session while chatting and bonding with them. In one of our sessions though, my son came to me and whispered: “Mama, I don’t want you smoking.”
My little boy did more than what his father would do, he was actually asking me to stop smoking. How can I say no to that? I talked to him and made a deal. I said: “Yes honey, I’d stop smoking if you’ll promise me that you’ll never ever smoke in your entire life too.” He nodded and we made a pact.
In the end, our son also reprimanded me from drinking beers. Wow, he sounded just like my father! But honestly, I really appreciate it that he knows what’s good and bad and he’s gutsy in telling us what he thinks. I’d like to think of this as our accomplishment as his parents because we’re able to encourage open communication and expression of feelings in our home.
Modeling is the best approach in parenting and if quitting smoking and drinking shall be my sacrifice in teaching him good lessons in life, I am so willing to do so. Totally worth it right?
Be in the Know!
Have Marikenya in your Site…
- Gadget Craze
- Takbo para sa Marikina Watershed 2013
- Sun Cellular, The Good Choice in Postpaid
- Marikina Traffic Advisory on Ka-Angkan Festival Parade 2013
- Safety First: Fire Prevention Tips for Households
- FREE and Popular Addicting Games from Facebook, Android and iOS
- Monday Inspiration
- Divisoria Mall is Closed on Holy Week 2013
- A Musical Summer
- Mall Schedule on Holy Week 2013
- Unexpected Returns of Parenting
- Free Summer Sports Training and Activities for Kids
- Roman Catholic’s New Pope is a Jew and South American
- Responsible Parenting
- Women’s Month 2013 is Celebrated in Marikina!
- about marikina (161)
- blogging (22)
- books (3)
- business (13)
- deals and promos philippines (12)
- education (18)
- family (2)
- famous people (56)
- food trip (23)
- general (544)
- health and fitness (57)
- jobs (22)
- literary (1)
- philippine festivals (7)
- philippine holidays (7)
- photography (9)
- poetry and literature (2)
- relationship (45)
- self-help (51)
- seo (4)
- shopping (58)
- spa services (2)
- technology (55)
- the Filipina (28)
- training (21)
- travel (60)