The Filipino ‘netizens’ have proven their strength in ralying against the implementation of the ‘Cybercrime Law,’ at least for now.
The CyberCrime Prevention Act of 2012 or Republic Act 10175 was passed into law last month and took effect on October 3. Prior and during it’s implementation, series of protests, online and offline, were lodged by netizens and media personalities to put an end to what was dubbed as the ‘cyber martial law.’
The Supreme Court (SC) were flooded with more than a dozen filed protests from different sectors (people’s groups composing of bloggers/netizens, media groups, educators, and lawyers, was well as lawmakers from Senate and Congress) on RA 10175, particularly on its provision against ‘libel’ which feared to abridge the freedom of expression.
Yesterday, members of the SC voted with a unanimous decision favoring the temporary restraining order (TRO) on the entire Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012. The TRO stops Department of Justice (DOJ), National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and other government agencies in implementing the provisions in the cybercrime law.
The blogosphere is certainly celebrating for this initial victory against the rule of cyber-martial law. However, it will not rest until the cybercrime bill is amended or repealed and ‘libel,’ decriminalized.
Want Marikenya.com Articles in Your Email Inbox? Subscribe Now!--> If you liked Marikenya.com, the author or her works, you may want to help grow Marikenya's Education Fund for her Son by donating any amount through PayPal or Credit Card by clicking the DONATE button. Thanks!
Be in the Know!
Have Marikenya in your Site…
- Gadget Craze
- Takbo para sa Marikina Watershed 2013
- Sun Cellular, The Good Choice in Postpaid
- Marikina Traffic Advisory on Ka-Angkan Festival Parade 2013
- Safety First: Fire Prevention Tips for Households
- FREE and Popular Addicting Games from Facebook, Android and iOS
- Monday Inspiration
- Divisoria Mall is Closed on Holy Week 2013
- A Musical Summer
- Mall Schedule on Holy Week 2013
- Unexpected Returns of Parenting
- Free Summer Sports Training and Activities for Kids
- Roman Catholic’s New Pope is a Jew and South American
- Responsible Parenting
- Women’s Month 2013 is Celebrated in Marikina!
- about marikina (161)
- blogging (22)
- books (3)
- business (13)
- deals and promos philippines (12)
- education (18)
- family (2)
- famous people (56)
- food trip (23)
- general (544)
- health and fitness (57)
- jobs (22)
- literary (1)
- philippine festivals (7)
- philippine holidays (7)
- photography (9)
- poetry and literature (2)
- relationship (45)
- self-help (51)
- seo (4)
- shopping (58)
- spa services (2)
- technology (55)
- the Filipina (28)
- training (21)
- travel (60)